Wednesday, December 06, 2006

IF Update

It's been a couple of weeks since I've posted about my IF experience, and that's mainly because I was not fasting due to a couple of physical problems. I've had lower back pain bad enough to cause sharp, shooting pains anytime I took a moderately deep breath, and even though the acute pain subsided, it's still a nagging problem. Additionally, I've somehow managed to end up with tennis elbow which is being even more stubborn than my back. What's more...I did not remember hurting myself. Because I couldn't seem to get better, I decided to quit everything I had changed to see if I could find relief. That meant no more Yoga and no more fasting and less intense strength training.

While my back improved with the above changes, it has still been giving me problems. That's when it occurred to me that I had also started drinking aspartame through Diet Dr. Pepper and Optimum Protein Powder. A controversial study by Dr. H.J. Roberts in the 90's implied a relationship between joint pain and aspartame consumption. Even though it sounds ridiculous, I decided to quit aspartame to see what it would do, if anything. After less than a week, I can say that pain in my back has improved but not completely disappeard. Pain in my arm comes and goes depending on my activity level. This isn't very good evidence that aspartame was to blame, but the study in question cited anywhere from 7 - 60 days for symptoms to subside after aspartame consumption ceases. To be on the safe side, I'm going to steer clear of it and stick to water, milk, or juice. I prefer not to consume caffeine anyway so this is a good way to kick that habit as well.

Anyway, on Monday, I fasted and worked out for the first time in quite a while. My back nagged me a bit, but my arm felt better. Today, I decided to consume some Naked Juice for breakfast and will skip lunch before having a heavy protein meal tonight.

As of this morning, I was 187 lbs and 14.4% body fat.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wondering if you are still pursuing IF? I am considering starting myself.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Hap Moorii said...

I haven't fasted in a while, but that's mainly because of the injuries noted in this post. Your timing is interesting, though, as I'm considering fasting today. If I continue to pursue IF, it probably won't be MWF like I had been doing. It's more likely I'll back off to Monday/Friday or Tuesday/Thursday or something along those lines. The main reason is my body fat is low enough that I can't go much further with fasting, and I also want to rebuild muscle I've lost due to injury which will probably require more calories than I can comfortably consume fasting so frequently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home