Friday, October 14, 2005

I Hate Maven

Why do I hate Maven? For the exact reason that most people love it...the repository. With Ant and all dependencies checked into a source repository, my projects always build reliably. Having been forced to use Maven on a project, I've had to rig repositories with my own versions of libraries and never get a consistent build between different workstations. I guess I could set up my own personal repository on a server, but that takes time. Why mess with the repository? Is the storage saved by not storing libs in each project really that important? I certainly don't think so.

Hate may have been a bit extreme, but I'm the kind of developer who likes control. Maven takes it away and provides as your only reward some convenient goals and plugins like run and uberjar.

Unsubstantiated rant complete. My apologies to the Apache folks who tend to produce some amazing products and technologies. I'm especially looking forward to trying out Geronimo.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home